Re: Disabling scripts in init.d *permanently*? apt-get dist-upgrade re-enables them! (did RTFM about update-rc.d)

On 11/5/05, Peter Valdemar Mørch <swp5jhu02@sneakemail.com> wrote:
Using Nessus as an example, I know how to disable it from starting
automatically with:
# update-rc.d -f nessusd remove

But then, two weeks down the road, a new version of nessus comes along,
and after a dist-upgrade, the service is started automatically again,
because the nessus package calls update-rc.d to have the nessusd daemon
start (as it should, I guess).

How do I configure a service to *NEVER EVER START* automatically? So
this choice survives a "apt-get dist-upgrade"?

I just 'chmod 644 script' and 'script' never gets executed or overwritten.

Patrick