Re: Problems moving from KDM to GDM

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:03:14 -0000
marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:

> Due to bugs in KDM being unable to run remote sessions via XDMCP - which
> have apparently been fixed in unstable [1] - I have had to move to GDM.
> However, I've immediately hit a few problems that I hope experienced GDM
> users can help me with. I am using KDE.
>
> 1. The "Start New Session" menu item has disappeared.
<clipped>
> How do you run multiple sessions in GDM?

On the Debian portion of the menu in apps --> system you potentially
have 3 GDM related menu items:

GDM setup - For configuring GDM.
GDM flexiserver - For starting additional fullscreen X sessions.
GDM flexiserver in Xnest - For starting additional windowed sessions.

The flexiserver in Xnest item should only show if you have xnest
installed.

> 2. The logout options do not provide for reboot and shutdown. How do you
> enable these options in GDM?

Not 100% sure, but I think this is a session management thing. When you
are running a Gnome session the shutdown and reboot options show up,
if not they don't.

That's not to say it isn't possible to set it up.

> 3. This is possibly a packaging problem. When I do
> # dpkg-reconfigure kdm (or gdm)
> to switch session manager, the runlevel configuration is not altered.
> So, while /etc/X11/default-display-manager is altered, the system ends
> up without a service to run at boot, and ends at the command line. Am I
> doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Don't know what's going on there, when you do dpkg-reconfigure on any
of the display managers then whatever you choose as the default should
provide the log in during boot up.

Looking in /var/log/syslog may reveal something.

> 4. The KDE Control Centre seems to have two problems with GDM.
>
>    a. Under System Admin/Login Manager, KDM is displayed when GDM is
> both active and listed in default-display-manager. Is there a way to
> configure GDM in KDE's Control Centre?

Don't think this is going to happen, but you never know.

>    b. Under KDE Components/Session Manager, the options do not appear to
> work. Same question as the last one.

GDM should not have any effect on that. If ksmserver is running the
options should work same as always, if some other session manager is
running then they won't.

Look for something hinky in your .xsession-errors file and in
XFree86.0.log or Xorg.0.log depending on which you are running.

Later, Seeker