Re: Oldstable? Abandoned Packages? Alternatives?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:40:24AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I just discovered the oldstable distribution.  What are the implications
> of this?  For example, for years I have used cbb (checkbook balancer)
> which I find is in the oldstable distribution but not in Sarge.

>From http://ftp-master.debian.org/removals.txt :

[Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:17:41 -0500] [ftpmaster: Daniel Silverstone]
Removed the following packages from unstable:

       cbb | 1:0.8.1-5.1 | source, all
       Closed bugs: 166249

       ------------------- Reason -------------------
       RoQA; Orphaned for over a year. OOD. wrt. upstream. Upstream
       inactive.

Basically, this means the package was quite dead and no one was
interested in keeping it alive, so it was removed.

If the dependencies are still met in sarge, you could probably continue
using the woody (oldstable) version with sarge.

> Does this mean I should search for an alternate package?  Is there a
> good one?  I found gnofin and gnucash in Sarge.  I don't need double
> entry bookkeeping and gnofin seems to lack the report generation
> features of cbb.  What's the plan?

I would try to find a suitable replacement, but I'm not familiar enough
with any accounting tools to make a recommendation.

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.