Oldstable? Abandoned Packages? Alternatives?

I just discovered the oldstable distribution. What are the implications of this? For example, for years I have used cbb (checkbook balancer) which I find is in the oldstable distribution but not in Sarge. Does this mean I should search for an alternate package? Is there a good one? I found gnofin and gnucash in Sarge. I don't need double entry bookkeeping and gnofin seems to lack the report generation features of cbb. What's the plan?

Tom George