Re: Sarge Upgrade DEBOCLE ! ! !

Carl,

You are absolutely right, please accept my apologies.  Please believe,
I DON'T HATE YOU.  But the Slashdot article referenced Bill Allombert
in an article on the Australian ZDNet Site:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39196419,00.htm

I think there are some valid arguments there and should not be ignored
by the community.

And, nope I ran dselct on a Friday afternoon like I always do without
reading the release notes or anything.  I thought I only had to do
that with my Microsoft systems.  Didn't have a problem in four years
and didn't think I would have a problem this time.  And after I get
upgraded to Sarge I am sure I will not have to worry about it again.

In any case this is the typescript from my last upgrade attempt.

Compt-113ws:/home/cpisbk1# apt-get update
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Sources
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Sources
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Sources
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/contrib Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/contrib Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/non-free Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/non-free Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Sources
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/contrib Sources
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/contrib Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/non-free Sources
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/non-free Release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Compt-113ws:/home/cpisbk1# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  xserver-rage128: Depends: xserver-common (>= 3.3.5) but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
Compt-113ws:/home/cpisbk1# apt-get dist-upgrade -f
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  xserver-rage128
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 2436kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 69800 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing xserver-rage128 ...
sed: can't read /etc/X11/Xserver: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing xserver-rage128 (--remove):
  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
  xserver-rage128

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian