Re: Big trouble with nfs

Hello !

> Sorry, I don't know the answer to your problem, but you may get a
> better response if you provide a few more details.

You are certainly right. Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience
with nfs troubles to provide this information, so thank you for your list!

> You forgot to mention what version of NFS

On the server:

CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
# CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO is not set
CONFIG_NFSD=m
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
# CONFIG_NFSD_TCP is not set

On the client (default debian kernel 2.4.27-2-386):

CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO=y           ( EXPERIMENTAL )
CONFIG_NFSD=m
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
CONFIG_NFSD_TCP=y

How can I find out which version is _actually_ used? Is NFS v3 the
default if it is supported ?

> and whether you are using kernel server support (instead of the user
mode server).  If you are, is it
> "experimental" in that kernel?

I think the settings above mean that I use the kernel server... None of
the settings on the server are experimental.

> You don't mention whether you have network problems, or problems
> with non-debian clients.

No, we don't have general network problems. We use samba, ssh, cvs
pserver, X11 via network and a little bit ftp, and none of them makes
trouble.

The debian client is the only nfs client.

> One more thing.  Before rebooting, did you try "umount -f /home"
> repeatedly on the client?

No, I didn't know "umount -f". I'll try it the next time !

Thanks for your hints. I think I'll compile my own 2.4.30 kernel and
don't include any experimental things. Lets see if it helps...

Thanks a lot,

Markus Grunwald
Softwareentwicklung

PRÜFTECHNIK Condition Monitoring GmbH