Re: PostgreSQL (was Re: Accounting package)

On (07/03/05 09:20), Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Monday 07 March 2005 03:41, Jamin W.Collins wrote:
> > From the limited exposure I've had with PostgreSQL, the
> > right management seemed a little confusing.
>
> Yep, PostgreSQL seems to have some password issue.  I gather that they have
> redefined one of the password specifiers to have a specific meaning, rather
> than to include all password types such as MD5 etc.  I still haven't figured
> out why "ident sameuser" or "password" or "md5" authentication fail.  There
> is some issue in Debian too, in that most of the client apps are using an
> older pgsql interface library, which I don't think recognises the new
> password system :(
>
> Mostly, I see people recommending the use of "trust", which basically means
> allow anyone (from the specified network/IP) in.  For now, it serves me well
> enough, but it's definitely not ideal.
>
> However, even despite that, I would say give PostgreSQL a try.  It's a much
> more capable DB, with Object Orientation, multiple language backends, better
> syntax, etc.  Most of the important software can use either DB, and if it
> doesn't, well... it's good that you're not using the only DB some package
> supports, so you'll remember to file a bug about hard-coding a database in
> there :)
Well I recently started using Postgres and although it took a little
figuring out initially, it seems that for version 7.4.7-2, md5 is the
default and works fine here.

>From exploration so far it is extremely powerful and anyone with SQL
knowledge should be able to pick it up fairly quickly.  And there is a
handy import table facility on pgaccess; also check out pgadmin3

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...