Synaptic and Root Terminal Won't Launch in Sarge (Gnome or KDE)

I have been successfully running Sarge with kernel 2.6.8-1-386 for a couple of months, then developed new problems. Synaptic and Root Terminal will not launch (in Gnome or KDE).  When I try to launch synaptic, nothing happens. When I try to launch a root terminal, there is about a 10 sec. timer, then nothing. Everything else seems to work fine. Interestingly, I can launch a regular (non-root) terminal, then ‘su’ to a root terminal OK. Then I can launch synaptic from the command line OK. These problems were not there after my last upgrade about a week ago, and are still there after upgrading today (I use ‘aptitude dist-upgrade’). I noticed a file seems to be missing: ‘/usr/bin/synaptic’. I removed and installed synaptic and gksu to no avail. Any ideas? Should I file a bug report? To which package? I’m a relative newbie, but have had few problems so far.

Thanks,

Bob