Mouse drivers...

In a recent installation of 2.6.8-2-k7, I ran into problems finding drivers for the touchpad. Previous kernels had used the '/dev/psaux' driver, but that is no longer available in the 2.6 '/dev'.

It was suggested that I try '/dev/input/mice' and I did try that, but receive the error (in the XF86Config-4.0.log file) that the file does not exist. I cannot find it using 'find' either.

Initially searching for 'psaux' one of the return paths was '/.dev'. I have used this to allow X to load with the 2.6 kernel. What is this? I know it's hidden, but this does not sound 'safe', although I don't have a good handle on what that directory even is... I've spent a couple of hours trying to find something on Google on this without any success and wonder if I'm inviting disaster. Any info on this directory would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Pete