Re: DRM in debian?

On Sunday 06 March 2005 09:22 pm, Thomas Walter wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 21:29, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > Hmm... as some of you may know, the KPDF developers have been in a
> > discussion recently about the ethics of implementing Digital Rights
> > Management in their PDF reader.
> >
> > According to the latest KDE CVS Digest* they've now added an
> > --enable-kpdf-drm=no option to configure.  (Seems like it should be
> > --disable-kdpf-drm, but whatever).  Seems like they're planning to have
> > it default to enabled.
> >
> > Does anyone know how debian is likely to react to this?    Will it be
> > enabled by default in debian too?
> >

> > * http://cvs-digest.org/?newissue=feb252005&all
>
> Don't knwo how Debian reacts on this, but I hope carefully.
> Currently the DRM does not allow me to play my own MP3 on my own little
> MP3-player.
>
> I guess this DRM stuff can/will be used by Coomercial Industries, not
> only to restrict copying but also to restrict which software is allowed
> to prepare data.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Thomas

I don't know how Debian would react to it but I think it would be USEFUL to
have the option.  It would be one less reason to have to maintain MS Windows
on my system.  I have bought two books that I can only view from Acrobat
Reader on a Windows system.  The worst problem I have had is with music,
however, with music I have purchased from Real Networks.  My Windows
partition broke when I installed Debian over Xandros and that likely means
that I will lose the tunes I have purchased.  The new MP3Tunes is a better
alternative to RN for me, you buy the music once and it is always yours.  We
will have to wait and see whether more artists make music available on
MP3Tunes, which does not use DRM.

It would be nice if some pdf reader for Linux could handle DRM, though.

8)

--
sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com