Re: DRM in debian?

On Sunday 06 March 2005 01:34 pm, Pollywog wrote:
> On Sunday 06 March 2005 09:22 pm, Thomas Walter wrote:
> > Hi Lee,
> >
> > On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 21:29, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > > Hmm... as some of you may know, the KPDF developers have been in
> > > a discussion recently about the ethics of implementing Digital
> > > Rights Management in their PDF reader.
> > >
> > > According to the latest KDE CVS Digest* they've now added an
> > > --enable-kpdf-drm=no option to configure.  (Seems like it should
> > > be --disable-kdpf-drm, but whatever).  Seems like they're
> > > planning to have it default to enabled.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know how debian is likely to react to this?    Will
> > > it be enabled by default in debian too?
> > >

> > > * http://cvs-digest.org/?newissue=feb252005&all
> >
> > Don't knwo how Debian reacts on this, but I hope carefully.
> > Currently the DRM does not allow me to play my own MP3 on my own
> > little MP3-player.
> >
> > I guess this DRM stuff can/will be used by Coomercial Industries,
> > not only to restrict copying but also to restrict which software is
> > allowed to prepare data.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Thomas
>
> I don't know how Debian would react to it but I think it would be
> USEFUL to have the option.  It would be one less reason to have to
> maintain MS Windows on my system.  I have bought two books that I can
> only view from Acrobat Reader on a Windows system.  The worst problem
> I have had is with music, however, with music I have purchased from
> Real Networks.  My Windows partition broke when I installed Debian
> over Xandros and that likely means that I will lose the tunes I have
> purchased.  The new MP3Tunes is a better alternative to RN for me,
> you buy the music once and it is always yours.  We will have to wait
> and see whether more artists make music available on MP3Tunes, which
> does not use DRM.
>
> It would be nice if some pdf reader for Linux could handle DRM,
> though.
Here is a quote from the Xpdf web site, not sure what reporting urls
means but afaikt, xpdf respects the author  of a .pdf doc.

"As of version 0.91, xpdf includes decryption code. (The US government
still requires open source software authors to report their URLs. This
is silly, but not quite as bad as the previous situation.)"
--
Greg C. Madden