Re: udev, autofs & module loading

Michael wrote:
> Hi Michael,

Hi Michael :)

> normally if you insert a CD a corresponding pci hotplug event should
> be generated and hotplug should load the right module. Check out the
> logfiles when inserting a CD.

I've rebuilt my kernel with the pci hotplugging support and loaded the
pci_hotplug, shpchp, and pciehp. But I'm still not seeing any hotplug
events when I insert a cd. I'm going to recompile with all of the pci
hotplugging modules -- ibm, compact, and acpi -- but I'm not optimistic
as I don't have ibm, or compact hardware it's sis.

> On a side note:
> Forget about autofs and install gnome-volume-manager. It does all what
> you want and a lot more. Despite its name it also works flawlessly
> under KDE and every other DE. Just try it. Check project utopia for
> more information about this.

I've had a little look at it but I'm not too impressed. It's doesn't
unmount when things are not in use, meaning I have to unmount them
manually. Also I use autofs to mount NFS shares and g-v-m doesn't does
this. But saying that I do like the way that it mounts things as the
user not as root meaning I can umount manually without becoming root.
Maybe I need to have a look at supermount but I'm not keen on doing that
(yet!)

--
OoberMick
"Marge, you're as beautiful as Princess Leia and as smart as Yoda." --