Re: Export to eps removes transparency

Am So, den 25.01.2004 schrieb Stephen um 18:03:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 09:11:50PM +0530 or thereabouts, Sridhar M.A. wrote:

> > colors were messed up. Hunting around we traced it to the loss of
> > transparency while exporting.

> I would think so, even the Adobe apps show this behaviour. One generally
> has better control when writing to postscript, then one does exporting
> to file. Exporting is usually quick, painless, but with the pitfalls
> you've described.

Transparencies have not been possible in Postscript for a long time. It
was introduced with Postscript Level 3 some years ago, but requires
_every_ machine in a process to have a level 3 interpreter. So "one does
not use it".

A Postscript-file normally is device-dependant. So many programs that
generate ps communicate with the device or look up informations in a
driver what level PS they can write. So maybe your program  writes level
3 postscript.

The situation is different for an eps. An eps is made to place it as a
part in new documents in other programs, like a tif or a jpeg. So the
eps-writing program can not decide on what kind of machine the eps will
be finally used, so it tries to write "compatible" eps files. Without
transparencies. Its not a bug, its a feature.

In short form: When dealing with postscript, avoid transparencies in any
case.

Bye, Ratti

--
 -o)    fontlinge  | Font management for Linux  | Schriftenverwaltung in Linux
 /\\                                  http://freshmeat.net/projects/fontlinge/