Re: Export to eps removes transparency

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 09:30:09PM +0100 or thereabouts, Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
> Am So, den 25.01.2004 schrieb Stephen um 18:03:
> > On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 09:11:50PM +0530 or thereabouts, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
>
> > > colors were messed up. Hunting around we traced it to the loss of
> > > transparency while exporting.
>
> > I would think so, even the Adobe apps show this behaviour. One generally
> > has better control when writing to postscript, then one does exporting
> > to file. Exporting is usually quick, painless, but with the pitfalls
> > you've described.
>
> Transparencies have not been possible in Postscript for a long time. It
> was introduced with Postscript Level 3 some years ago, but requires
> _every_ machine in a process to have a level 3 interpreter. So "one does
> not use it".

That is simply not accurate. I work in prepress, so I'm well aware of
the issues with transparencies. Anyone using a branded Adobe postscript
output device (not the clone rips) can do transparencies, since PS 3 was
introduced several years ago. This is a non-issue, and really is more of
a prepress knowhow issue than anything. Besides this isn't the problem
the OP is having, is it? Wasn't the question why exporting won't, but PS
will?

> A Postscript-file normally is device-dependant. So many programs that
> generate ps communicate with the device or look up informations in a
> driver what level PS they can write. So maybe your program  writes level
> 3 postscript.
>
> The situation is different for an eps. An eps is made to place it as a
> part in new documents in other programs, like a tif or a jpeg. So the
> eps-writing program can not decide on what kind of machine the eps will
> be finally used, so it tries to write "compatible" eps files. Without
> transparencies. Its not a bug, its a feature.

Hmm, EPSes are a form of postscript. Any issues with transparency in postscript
will be evident in an EPS (encapsulated postscript).

> In short form: When dealing with postscript, avoid transparencies in any
> case.

Again simply not accurate. We and many other printers in my market, do
transparencies each and every day. If a printer can't output
transparencies, run from them. They don't know what they're doing.

BTW, many of the clone RIPS will do transparencies now. But to be
sure, one should use the more expensive licensed Adobe RIPs.

--
Stephen
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the