Re: Multimedia keys in Woody?

Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
What's the best way to get my keyboard's multimedia keys to work in Woody?

I've used Gnome 2.4's media keys applet, but is there something available in 1.4 that can do the same thing?

  depends on what you mean by 'working'

to make them recognized by X you need to set proper keyboard, e.g. for example a logitech keyboard I have:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Logitech Cordless iTouch"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "logicordless"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

see /etc/X11/xkb for details, it's fairly easy to create a new keyboard if your keyboard is not there, you can often find a similar one and just add few missing keys

you can use xev program to see whether your keys are recognized by X (and whether they have keycode (number) and keysym (string, name))

you can then use various programs to make these keys to do something - either your window manager (look for keyboard shortcuts, hotkeys and similar in wm docs) or a standalone programs (e.g. xbindkeys)

	erik