Re: Unable to find Ncurses libararies/Compile Kernel

fdfisher@oberlin.edu (Forest Fisher) writes:

> I'm trying to upgrade from the 2.4.18 kernel that installs with the
> bf24 flavor to hopefully a 2.6.1 kernel but at the very least, a
> 2.4.24 kernel.  I put the zipped source code (i.e.
> linux-2.6.1.tar.bz2) into the /usr/src directory, checked to make sure
> there were no symlinks, and then did:
>
> #tar -xjvf linux-2.6.1.tar.bz2
>
> Then, I used
>
> #ln -s linux-2.6.1 linux

(That symlink is unnecessary on Debian, and potentially dangerous if
you're installing other software that sees it and incorrectly assumes
it corresponds to the running kernel.  I also generally perform this
steps as an unprivileged user, not root, and in my home directory.)

> So then I tried:
>
> #apt-get install ncurses

As you've probably noticed by now, 'apt-get install' is only really
useful if you know the exact package name.  A more useful approach
might be:

(1) 'apt-get install aptitude'
(2) 'aptitude'
(3) 'u' if you need to update the package listing
(4) 'l ncurses' to limit the display to only curses packages
(5) Move down to "not installed packages", press '[' to expand it
(6) Notice that the package description for libncurses5-dev includes
    "header files [and] static libraries"; press '+' to install it.
(7) Press 'g'.  aptitude will display a listing of everything it wants
    to do.  Press 'g' again to actually install.
(8) Press 'q' to get out of aptitude.

	-- Abra Mitchell