zero swap free

Hi All,

I suppose this question isn't Debian specific but I'm hoping some of the many experts here can point me in the right direction.

I'm running Linux v2.2.16 from a Debian distro. The "free" command shows zero bytes of swap free out of 129 Mb (same size as physical mem).

The culprit was qpopper when I received a 200Mb e-mail.

I once read that the "free" value isn't that important, as long as the system isn't thrashing -- which it's not. If I recollect, the reasoning was that the swap is just rearranged next time someone has to page to disk.

Question 1: Since I'm not thrashing, right now, should I ignore the zero free swap space or is it time to partition a larger swap? I often see free memory (not swap) drop to 2 Mb when the machine is busy. (Irrelevant?)

Question 2: Will the free swap space ever go back up on its own or will I have to kill and restart some processes?

Any thoughts?

--
- David