Re: zero swap free

On Thursday, Jan 22, 2004, at 22:34 America/Denver, David G. Schlecht wrote:

I once read that the "free" value isn't that important, as long as the system isn't thrashing -- which it's not. If I recollect, the reasoning was that the swap is just rearranged next time someone has to page to disk.

Correct. It just filled up completely at one point and things are now "cached" in it.

Question 1: Since I'm not thrashing, right now, should I ignore the zero free swap space or is it time to partition a larger swap? I often see free memory (not swap) drop to 2 Mb when the machine is busy. (Irrelevant?)

Hard to say. The Linux kernel will aggressively hold things in both RAM and swap. Even large amounts of physical RAM on big servers will eventually show very little RAM free because of the filesystem caching the kernel does via RAM.

"Thrashing" as you say is probably the best indication of virtual memory performance. When you "hit the wall" in Linux it's VERY noticible... the machine thrashes, nothing seems to get done for very long periods of time... etc.

Question 2: Will the free swap space ever go back up on its own or will I have to kill and restart some processes?

You would have to reboot (don't bother) or disable and re-enable swap (even sillier).

--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com