XF86 config for LCD/CRT

Have this problem now on two laptops (one uses ati driver - Rage
Mobility M/F, the other radeon - Radeon Mobility 7500).

For either I can set up a config so that X ignores the LCD totally -
and will therefore drive the monitor at full res.

or

I can set up a config so that X drives both LCD and CRT - at the LCDs
max res.

I can't seem to get a config that will do one of the following:

1) Drive both each at max res - and with the panel functioning as a
   window onto the screen (similar to "Virtual" settings in the
   display section except that the CRT should show the whole thing).

2) Drive each in turn - responding to fn-F10 to switch between.

It's a little irritating to have to restart X just to dock/undock
(especially since it's used thru kdm).

It seems that if the LCD is detected and is enabled then it will be
used and will control the res for the CRT too. I tried setting Virtual
- thinking that the LCD would give a scrollable window and the CRT
show the whole thing - but the CRT got stuck at the LCDs max res and
showed the same window.

I've played with multiple screen sections, multiple display sections -
no joy.

Anyone out there who's solved this? Or otherwise has a good way of
handling X with a laptop that is used docked/undocked?

Regards

--
Chris