Re: Versions

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:36:38 -0600, Kent West wrote:

> M.Kirchhoff wrote:
>
>>If you want the newest software available, Sid/Unstable is where you want to be.
>>`Unstable` is a misleading term; really, it's more `volatile` than unstable,
>>that is, packages move into Sid/Unstable constantly, so the environment is in a
>>constant state of flux,
>>

> That's an excellent name. I've had problems explaining to others at
> times that unstable does not mean what they think it means. I wonder
> what it'd take to get an "official" name change in Debian from
> "unstable" to "volatile", and perhaps more importantly, is it even a
> good idea to consider?

Given the number of people I've seen recommending unstable to relative
newbies for use in desktops, I think the name should be changed to:

when-it-breaks-I-get-to-keep-both-pieces

to give them a hint of what they might be getting into :)

--

It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big
enough hammer.
               -- Sun System & Network Admin manual