Re: features in galeon-1.2.5 vs 1.3.11+, was: Status of Galeon in testing?

Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> writes:

> ..last time I saw Galeon mentioned here, the word was 1.2.5 was the
> best Galeon ever made, as later versions lost functionality etc,
> what's it like now?

I am using stable at work and unstable at home, and I often don't
really notice which version I am using. However I have made a few
observations:

The password remembering GUI has become nicer. It has become easier to
choose between several accounts on the same page, and to delete
unwanted passwords.

It has become possible to drag selected text into a smart
bookmarks. This is useful for finding google cache (Drag the current
url into the google bookmark, and press cache).

If you double click on a link to create a new tab, then the new tab is
born with a memory of the the history of it's ancestor.

They have come up with a nice algorithm for placing newly created
tabs: Suppose you create a tree that describes the ancestry relations
between the tabs. Then you perform a depth first search in this
tree. This search will result in an ordering of the nodes. This
ordering corresponds to the ordering of the tabs in Galeon. (** Insert
better description here **)

Downloading has become nicer, but perhaps this is a result of a
gnome/gtk improvement.

Mouse getures are very amusing, but I haven't yet decided if I think
that they are useful :)

I really miss to be able to middle click on the "previous page
button". In 1.2.5 this creates a new tab containing the previous
page. In 1.3.11a nothing happens.

I also miss to be able to clone a tab by middle clicking on the tab.

I have some font problems. If I color text with the mouse, then the
colored letters become too big. I should probably report the bug
instead of complaining here :)

Some of the preferences are still missing, but I don't really miss
them.

I conclusion I would say that 1.3.11a is a better browser than
1.25. Galeon has become a power browser again :)

                               Niels

--
Niels L Ellegaard  http://dirac.ruc.dk/~gnalle/