Re: features in galeon-1.2.5 vs 1.3.11+, was: Status of Galeon in testing?

On 22 Jan 2004 22:02:49 +0100,
gnalle@ruc.dk (Niels L. Ellegaard) wrote in message
<[🔎] 7wbrov1yti.fsf@dirac.ruc.dk>:

> Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> writes:
>
> > ..last time I saw Galeon mentioned here, the word was 1.2.5 was the
> > best Galeon ever made, as later versions lost functionality etc,
> > what's it like now?
>

> I am using stable at work and unstable at home, and I often don't
> really notice which version I am using. However I have made a few
> observations:
>
> The password remembering GUI has become nicer. It has become easier to
> choose between several accounts on the same page, and to delete
> unwanted passwords.

..how about cookies?  I generally want "allow these cookies" ban these
cookies" and "ban this spam site", should take 3 buttons only, but is a
major hassle with all browsers I've used, you get "accept" or "ban" and
"these cookies only" or "all cookies".

> It has become possible to drag selected text into a smart
> bookmarks. This is useful for finding google cache (Drag the current
> url into the google bookmark, and press cache).
>
> If you double click on a link to create a new tab, then the new tab is
> born with a memory of the the history of it's ancestor.
>
> They have come up with a nice algorithm for placing newly created
> tabs: Suppose you create a tree that describes the ancestry relations
> between the tabs. Then you perform a depth first search in this
> tree. This search will result in an ordering of the nodes. This
> ordering corresponds to the ordering of the tabs in Galeon. (** Insert
> better description here **)
>
> Downloading has become nicer, but perhaps this is a result of a
> gnome/gtk improvement.
>
> Mouse getures are very amusing, but I haven't yet decided if I think
> that they are useful :)
>
> I really miss to be able to middle click on the "previous page
> button". In 1.2.5 this creates a new tab containing the previous
> page. In 1.3.11a nothing happens.
>
> I also miss to be able to clone a tab by middle clicking on the tab.

..is it still possible to drag tabs across each other?  Or between
Galeon instances?

> I have some font problems. If I color text with the mouse, then the
> colored letters become too big. I should probably report the bug
> instead of complaining here :)
>
> Some of the preferences are still missing, but I don't really miss
> them.
>
> I conclusion I would say that 1.3.11a is a better browser than
> 1.25. Galeon has become a power browser again :)

..the interview explained quite a things, losing bonobo sounds
good, but does these guys plan to add mail etc stuff to it???

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: