Re: Free alternative to File Maker

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:03:39PM +0100, francois.fayard@free.fr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know it's not a debian question, but I'm looking for an alternative to File
> Maker Pro. Let me explain my problem.
>
> I'm a french teacher and I prepare my students to various exams. We teachers
> have an association where we share subjects, courses and exercices. We've got a
> lot of files and we use filemaker to search trough our files. I'd like to know
> if there is something like a GNU File Maker program or something similar. What
> we really need is :
>
> serahc through a database by
> - author
> - exam
> - year
> - type of document
> - ...
>

> Do you know a free project that can handle that ?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Francois
Hi Francois,
there are a few answers to your query:
1) there is no equivilant to Filemaker in linux
2) this type of application can be developed simply with any database
(mysql,postgres) and can have a simple GUI made for it.
3) there are tools being made for teacher to use: check out
http://moodle.org for a great example. There is also a project within
Debian to develop education software: debian-edu and
http://www.skolelinux.org/

HTH
-Kevin
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||