Free alternative to File Maker

Hi,

I know it's not a debian question, but I'm looking for an alternative to File
Maker Pro. Let me explain my problem.

I'm a french teacher and I prepare my students to various exams. We teachers
have an association where we share subjects, courses and exercices. We've got a
lot of files and we use filemaker to search trough our files. I'd like to know
if there is something like a GNU File Maker program or something similar. What
we really need is :

serahc through a database by
- author
- exam
- year
- type of document
- ...

Do you know a free project that can handle that ?

Thanks for your help,
Francois