Re: Partition Resizing

On Monday 13 December 2004 17:24, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> Interesting. Will this work if I have to fix partitions that do not
> end on cylinder boundaries?

If it does in fact read them at all -- don't dare. At least in my case it
complains and exits leaving my partitions, for better or for worse, intact
and readable :-)

>Unfortunately, as I understand, parted (and presumably also qtparted) cannot
>move the start of an ext2, ext3 or reiserfs partition, so you may have
trouble
>doing what you need to do - you may need to stuff around with shrinking your
>partition, then copying it, then deleting the old one and expanding the new
one
>or something like that.  Might be quicker just to reinstall!  If you can make
>backup of your filesystems, then repartition, then restore, it might be
easier.

>Beats me why it can't move the start, I would have thought that would only
>involve copying blocks.

PartitionMagic shell out to DOS to move blocks if it must. That's the scarey
part but yes, it works (barring power failure or itchy fingers). QTpartedit
does not have this option. I only wanted it to fix the ends of the current
partitions to be according to Hoyle (not Gates). As of now, I have no
software to do this though some DOS tools such as diskedit might work if one
has guts.