Re: PPP connection

Collet Brunel wrote:
Hello,
I connect to the internet through a 56K USR modem.
Whenever I connect to my ISP using wvdial, it outputs
lots of messages about the connection and one of these
displays the connection speed that was established
(something like CONNECT 50666 etc... ). However,
whenever I connect to my ISP using pon, I don't get
this information (I use plog -f to see the pon
output). What I want to know is if there is a way to
see that info or make pon display that info.

Collet:

I don't think you can do that just like that.
But consider:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/wmppp.app
(also in woody and sid)
It does what you want.

Apparently by putting:

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider -r /var/tmp/modem.speed"

into the /etc/ppp/peers/provider (or similar) script.
So pppd will do what you want and somebody has to dig it out. (Which wvdial does) My /var/tmp/modem.speed contains:
chat:  Dec 12 01:46:39 CONNECT 50666/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS

I use fvwm as windowmanager and it has "wharfs":
http://esquipulas.homeunix.com/index.php?p=59

In one of them sits wmppp.app and when I connect through it, it digs out that modemspeed and displays it.

Could be that Gnome or KDE based apps have something similar, I don't use them.

HTH