Re: Yanking a USB Hard Drive/ReiserFS causes Kernel Panic

William Ballard <nospam_40811@alltel.net> writes:

> I have an external USB 2.0 2.5" hard drive, shows up as /dev/sda, with
> an ReiserFS partition.  If I yank it with it mounted ReiserJS panics.
> I have the fstab entry marked as sync, rw.

I think it might be because reiserfs is a journaling filesystem. I know
I sometimes forget and remove my usbkey (which has FAT) without
unmounting, and don't see the problems you see.  Even ext2 should be
fine. Never tried with a journaled filesystem.  Like someone else
mentioned in this thread, it might be because the journal hasn't been
updated yet.  Probably is a bug in reiserfs too (it should recover more
gracefully).

BTW, checking the manual for mount(8), only ext2, ext3 and ufs supports
the sync keyword).

--
John L. Fjellstad