Re: Yanking a USB Hard Drive/ReiserFS causes Kernel Panic

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:38:15AM -0700, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> I think it might be because reiserfs is a journaling filesystem. I know
> I sometimes forget and remove my usbkey (which has FAT) without
> unmounting, and don't see the problems you see.  Even ext2 should be
> fine. Never tried with a journaled filesystem.  Like someone else

Switching gears to "what would you do":
It's an 80GB hd @ 4200RPM, available after upgrading my laptop to 60GB @
7200RPM.  Would like to do the following with the external HD, in no
particular order of priority:

[XP-Focused things]
-Install and run multi-GB map software and games in WinXP
-Keep CD images such as Visual Studio and Map software on it,
 so they'll always be available (XP Only)
-Treat it as a "general data store" for Ripped DVDs, Install Programs,
 my document store, and transferring large projects; (XP/Linux/Both)

[Linux-focused things]
-Keep VMWare images on it (used in Linux)
-Keep Partimage images of XP O/S partition on it (used in Linux)
-Keep a music library on it (used in Linux)

Ideally, I'd format the whole 80GB as a giant Fat32 partition, but
you can't make it that big.  So I settled on 50GB NTFS for XP to
write to and Linux to read from, and 30GB Reiserfs for Linux to
write to and XP to read from.  Thus I get the benefits of small
clusters and no wasted space in both.

Would I be better off using the 30GB as Ext2; to allow safe yanking;
or are the benefits of ReiserFS such greater as to keep it the way
it is and hope autofs gets fixed in sid.

My inclination is to keep it the way it is and wait for autofs to
start working again.