how to get a mounted USB stick icon on desktop

I am using udev to detect and mount a USB external floppy drive. When I mount the floppy drive, an icon appears on the desktop and when I umount it, it dissappears. Recently I added a udev rule to mount a USB stick in a similar fashion but I am not getting the icon for the mounted USB stick on the desktop. What am I missing here? I also mount/umount the 'disk mounter' utility of gnome panels.

Running Debian Unstable on Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop with kernel 2.6.7.
{~}> dpkg -l udev
||/ Name                      Version                   Description
ii udev 0.040-1 /dev/ management daemon
{~}> lsmod | grep us
mousedev               10704  1
psmouse                20616  0
usbcore               117440  4 uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
{~}> lsmod | grep scsi
scsi_mod              127492  1 sd_mod

Thanks,
->HS