Re: copying text from console to X with gpmdata?

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 10:46:52AM -0700, Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:08:33PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> I do that all the time, and it ALWAYS works.  The only problem I have is:
>
> 1. Select Text     1. Select text
> 2.                 2. Hit Ctrl-C
> 3. Select Text     3. Select Text
> 4. Middle Click    4. Hit Ctrl-V

That doesn't work.  You're mixing selections (the left side) with the
clipboard (the right side).  Do it all with the clipboard, and it works.

> You can see how an ex-Windozer can have problems.

No, actually, I can't, because I see no reason why this supposed ex-Windows
user would even try to use *selections*.  He would have no clue that you
could move text around just by selecting it.

He would expect the clipboard in X to work the same way it does in Windows,
and he'd be justified, because it more or less does.  This is why idiots
who tell people that selections are the same thing as the clipboard should
be shot.

> > The PRIMARY and SECONDARY selections are orthagonal to CLIPBOARD.
> Yet, Xterm selections go into both.

Yes, the default configuration for xterm is that it both asserts PRIMARY,
and copies the selected text to CLIPBOARD.  Not that it's hard to change
that, but that's what it does by default.

What $RANDOM_APPLICATION does, however, when presented with
middle-mouse-click, is not defined by any standard, but by the individual
application.

It may try to paste PRIMARY (Mozilla), it may try to paste CLIPBOARD (vim),
or it may try to paste PRIMARY and then try to paste CLIPBOARD if it can't
get PRIMARY (xterm).

--
 Marc Wilson |     When you speak to others for their own good it's
 msw@cox.net |     advice; when they speak to you for your own good