Re: mouse not working under X, while ok in gpm

Thanks Kent and Alexis for the reply, here are all the info that you
required...

 On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 22:06:26 -0500, Kent West wrote:

> Tong wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>>Step two - configure gpm.
>>>[...]
>>
>>As stated in my OP, my console mouse works fine.
>>

>>>Step three - Configure X to read from /dev/gpmdata.
>>>[...]
>>
>>So I googled/read/did. But as I said, it didn't work -- in fact after
>>startx, my console mouse is destroyed (there is an extremely long delay
>>when starting X).
>>
> Please post the contents of your /etc/gpm.conf file and the appropriate
> "InputDevice" section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

#  /etc/gpm.conf - configuration file for gpm(1)
#
#  [...]
#
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=autops2
append=""
sample_rate=

"InputDevice" section of the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file

Current version:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/gpmdata"
	Option		"Protocol"		"auto"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
#	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

There is no error in the xfree log file. I've also tried to change the
protocol to ps/2.

Other trial ones:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
#	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

I think this is what I've been doing in RH, i.e., console and X mouse all
use dev/psaux. Why can't I do this in Debian?

>>I installed gpm while in X, I think my X is now permanently damaged.
>>
> Installing gpm from within X or without won't make any difference, other
> than possibly confusing the mouse driver until the next restart of X, or
> confusing the mouse driver if the settings are wrong. But it's not
> permanent damage.

Please note that there may not be any reasonable explanation for the
freezing mouse under X, based on the fact that

1. startx destroy gpm mouse
2. uninstall gpm with purge while XF86Config-4 kept as original won't work
either -- X is now permanently damaged.

I'm thinking my case is far from a simple quick fix. If you can't figure
out a  reasonable explanation, please at least tell me how to get out of
this.

Thanks

tong