Re: mouse not working under X, while ok in gpm

Tong wrote:

#  /etc/gpm.conf - configuration file for gpm(1)
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=autops2
append=""
sample_rate=

Assuming you have a PS/2 mouse with a scroll wheel, I'd suggest "imps2" for the type in gpm.conf, and "ImPS/2" for the protocol in XF86Config-4.

If that doesn't work, I'd also change the repeat_type in gpm.conf to "raw".

"InputDevice" section of the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/gpmdata"
	Option		"Protocol"		"auto"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
#	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

There is no error in the xfree log file. I've also tried to change the
protocol to ps/2.
Other trial ones:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
#	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

I think this is what I've been doing in RH, i.e., console and X mouse all
use dev/psaux. Why can't I do this in Debian?
I'm not sure what RH does, but if you use /dev/psaux in both gpm and X, then what happens is that your mouse is moved, the resulting data gets put in /dev/psaux, and then gpm or X "pops" that data out of /dev/psaux, which means that the other driver misses out on being able to read that data. The result is that the mouse is very erratic either in X or a terminal, because the X or gpm is only getting part of the data.

The correct solution is to either have the gpm driver read the data from /dev/psaux and then repeat it to another device (/dev/gpmdata) for X to read, or to use the "new" way of using /dev/input/mice as the place to read from, which has the capability to be read from multiple drivers without dropping bits (at least, that's how I understand it).

Please note that there may not be any reasonable explanation for the
freezing mouse under X, based on the fact that
1. startx destroy gpm mouse
2. uninstall gpm with purge while XF86Config-4 kept as original won't work
either -- X is now permanently damaged.

I'm thinking my case is far from a simple quick fix. If you can't figure
out a  reasonable explanation, please at least tell me how to get out of
this.
Oh-h-h-h. What you mean by "permanently damaged" is that your mouse doesn't work even when gpm has been purged. That means that the InputDevice section of XF86Config-4 needs to be changed; the exact change will depend on your mouse.

BTW, did you try the Shift-NumLock method of mousing around; did it work for you?

Is this mouse a PS/2 with scroll wheel (ie, not serial, and not USB)? Is it perhaps a "broken" ps/2 mouse, in which case you might want to try the type "fups2".