PAM: remembering previous passwords

As part of a requirement for a security certification my company is
attempting to acquire, we have to ensure that employees do not recycle
their previous four passwords. I need to find a way to accomplish this
in PAM.

I am fully aware that the pam_unix.so module has a flag 'remember=n',
which can be used for just this purpsoe. Here's the problem: we're using
LDAP authentication for all clients. The PAM System Administrators Guide
alludes to there being a way to have pam_cracklib.so check the
/etc/security/opasswd file for old user passwords, but it doesn't go any
deeper than that. And that's where I've reached a dead end.

Are there any modules specifically for this purpose? Does pam_ldap.so
have the feature built into it, somehow? Is there any other way to
accomplish what I'm trying to do?

--
Stephen Touset <stephen@touset.org>