Re: where to get modprobe.conf?

Hello

Erhard Schultchen (<eschultchen@gmx.de>) wrote:

> I switched from linux 2.4 to 2.6 some months ago. AFAIK, 2.6's
> module-init-tools use /etc/modprobe.d for module information such as
> aliases.
>
> The manpage ( 5 modprobe.conf) also mentions the
> /lib/modules/modprobe.conf file, wich (among others) the alsa init
> script depends on. However, I am not sure how to obtain and maintain
> this file - is there something like update-modules available for 2.6?

If you install module-init-tools (which you did because without it you
cannot load modules for 2.6), update-modules will create that file.
This has however been abandoned in recent versions of
module-init-tools. From the changelog.Debian:

,---
|* Now /etc/modprobe.d/ is processed by modprobe. This means that
| /etc/modprobe.conf and /lib/modules/modprobe.conf are not needed
| anymore and update-modules is now a no-op. Executable scripts in
| /etc/modprobe.d/ are not supported anymore.
|  /etc/modprobe.conf will be removed or moved to /etc/modprobe.d/.
`---

If you use unstable or testing, I recommend that you install
apt-listchanges.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270