WinModem, PPP and strange hangups

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, but this is not a particularly
laptop-specific question.

This laptop has an Intel810 soundcard with WinModem.  I am trying to get
this going under Debian, mostly unstable.

I tend to roll my own kernels.  I use ALSA, and have the snd-intel8x0m
module compiled and inserted in the kernel (built from the 2.6.5 package
from kernel.org).

I have downloaded the latest slmodem package (2.9.9 (I think - at a
'doze box at the moment)).  I compiled the slmodemd with the
SUPPORT_ALSA=1 option.  This all worked fine.

I can start slmodemd with the options '-c 09 -a' (09 is Australia) and
it seems to work OK.

I have a PPP connection set up with an ISP that I can connect to from
another Debian unstable box (but that one has a real modem).  I use PAP
authentication.

When I try to connect to the ISP using pon, the modem dials out, pppd
authenticates with the ISP, gets a dynamic IP address and sets up
routing correctly.  At this point I can ping machines on the internet,
do DNS lookups using host, telnet to a web server and get pages from it,
and generally access the internet from the command line.

But it all goes pear-shaped as soon as I fire up a web-browser and try
to access a web-site.  The phone line gets hung up - no traffic will go
across the link, and I can pick up a handset and hear a dialtone.
However, pppd keeps running, and ifconfig still reports the link as live
(although dropping packets like crazy).

This is driving me nuts!  I am completely baffled about why a
web-browser in particular should cause a modem to hang up.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom Cook
--
Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side, a light side, and it
holds the universe together.

This e-mail (including attachments) is confidential information of Australian Submarine Corporation Pty Limited (ASC).  It may also be legally privileged.  Unauthorised use and disclosure is prohibited.  ASC is not taken to have waived confidentiality or privilege if this e-mail was sent to you in error. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender promptly.  While ASC takes steps to identify and eliminate viruses, it cannot confirm that this e-mail is free from them.  You should scan this e-mail for viruses before it is used.  The statements in this e-mail are those of the sender only, unless specifically stated to be those of ASC by someone with authority to do so.