Re: XMMS Plays Really Slow

On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:11:19 -0700
Jake Johnson <jake@plutoid.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 04:50:56PM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:13:29 -0700
> > Jake Johnson <http://www.plutoid.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How does the new kernel work without running esd?  I still stay
> > > away from esd because of the extra load.
> >
> > It all plays very slow, regardless of whether you're using the alsa
> > or the esd output plugin in xmms. Anything playing through arts
> > somehow has the correct speed, but the arts output plugin for xmms
> > in testing/unstable does not work properly. Xmms playing sound
> > through esd which is going through arts is still slow.
> >
> > Very weird symptoms, it seems. Oh, and I played around with Knoppix
> > v3.4_05-10-04 today. Using "knoppix alsa" at the boot prompt, the
> > i810 sound was recognized and xmms could output sound using the alsa
> > plugin and everything sounded perfect! Incidentally, that version of
> > Knoppix uses the 2.4.26 kernel - one of the ones I tried apt-get
> > installing. Now I only wish I knew what the difference was.
<snip>

> Hi Jacob,
> Isn't it possible to check the differences with one of the three
> below: 1. lsmod
> 2. make oldconfig and check the differences
> 3. dmesg

Yes, that's part of the problem.

1) I don't see anything different in lsmod output.
2) I have always used my old config files when compiling new kernels. I
will be trying the Knoppix config file this morning.
3) Nothing strange here, either.

So, failing #2 this morning, I'm thinking it must be a change to one of
the modules, between kernels 2.4.20 and 2.4.23. Then it would look like
the same modules are loaded, but one of the modules would be acting
differently.

Thanks,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #11:
Linux -- Have you administered a real OS today?