XMMS Plays Really Slow

I've got a computer running a mix of testing/unstable with the latest
updates with a weird problem.

I upgraded to kernel-image-2.4.25 so I could take advantage of the
pre-compiled alsa modules available in alsa-modules-2.4.25. aRts seems
to recognize the sound card fine after the modules are loaded - kscd
plays an audio cd without any problems. However, when I load xmms and
try to play a song, it takes about 10 - 15 seconds for each second of
audio that it plays. I switched back to the OSS modules and have the
same problem. I then tried upgrading to 2.4.26, but it still does the
same thing.

I have checked and it's not loading up the memory or cpu, so I can't see
what would be causing this. The computer is an AMD 2600 with 512MB of
ram. The sound card is built into a Gigabyte motherboard using the
Nvidia nforce2 chipset. I am trying both the i810_audio and snd-intel8x0
modules. Occasionally I get this error from the i810_audio module:
kernel: i810_audio: drain_dac, dma timeout?

Under kernel 2.4.20, before I did the recent updates, this sound card
and the i810_audio module worked great together.

Has anyone else seen this problem before?

TIA,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #64:
Windows:

32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit
operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written
by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Linux:

The ultimate windows patch. http://www.linux.org/