Re: XMMS Plays Really Slow

On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:13:29 -0700
Jake Johnson <jake@plutoid.com> wrote:

> How does the new kernel work without running esd?  I still stay away
> from esd because of the extra load.

It all plays very slow, regardless of whether you're using the alsa or
the esd output plugin in xmms. Anything playing through arts somehow
has the correct speed, but the arts output plugin for xmms in
testing/unstable does not work properly. Xmms playing sound through esd
which is going through arts is still slow.

Very weird symptoms, it seems. Oh, and I played around with Knoppix
v3.4_05-10-04 today. Using "knoppix alsa" at the boot prompt, the i810
sound was recognized and xmms could output sound using the alsa plugin
and everything sounded perfect! Incidentally, that version of Knoppix
uses the 2.4.26 kernel - one of the ones I tried apt-get installing. Now
I only wish I knew what the difference was.

Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #57:
Windows NT encountered the following error: The operation completed
successfully.