Re: Phone dialer for Linux

> I'm looking for something that can be used in a way sort of like the
> following:
>
> ~$ somedialer  -P{ulse}  -D /dev/ttys0 -N <1 234 567 8910>

Try minicom, tip, and cu.  Use whatever best fits your taste.

> I've searched and searched and I just can't seem to find a simple,
> command-line phone dialer for use with pulse/rotarty (ie non-touch
> tone) phone lines.

Set pulse dialing in the modem initialization string. In your terminal emulator options, change all instances of "ATDT" to "ATDP".

Some modems also allow you to force pulse or tone dialiing with a register or dip switch. Consult your manual.

David P James wrote:

I've searched and searched and I just can't seem to find a simple, command-line phone dialer for use with pulse/rotarty (ie non-touch tone) phone lines. I find it amazing that I can send out faxes via my modem in linux but can't just dial a number. I've never used PPP but obviously one has to dial out there too. So, I'm a bit perplexed.

The reason I'm looking is because I noticed that kaddressbook now has the ability to specify a command for dialing numbers. This would be extremely useful since my telephone has somewhat 'sticky' keys and besides, the numbers are all there in kaddressbook.

I'm looking for something that can be used in a way sort of like the following:

~$ somedialer  -P{ulse}  -D /dev/ttys0 -N <1 234 567 8910>

If anyone knows of such a program or a way to do this, I'd love to hear about it.