Phone dialer for Linux

I've searched and searched and I just can't seem to find a simple,
command-line phone dialer for use with pulse/rotarty (ie non-touch
tone) phone lines. I find it amazing that I can send out faxes via my
modem in linux but can't just dial a number. I've never used PPP but
obviously one has to dial out there too. So, I'm a bit perplexed.

The reason I'm looking is because I noticed that kaddressbook now has
the ability to specify a command for dialing numbers. This would be
extremely useful since my telephone has somewhat 'sticky' keys and
besides, the numbers are all there in kaddressbook.

I'm looking for something that can be used in a way sort of like the
following:

~$ somedialer  -P{ulse}  -D /dev/ttys0 -N <1 234 567 8910>

If anyone knows of such a program or a way to do this, I'd love to hear
about it.
--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations