Xfree setup: does AGP require anything special?

Doing a bit of advocay, I've managed to convince a friend to try Debian
on his newly put-together PC for a bit, while he saves up the £165 WinXP
tax.

Unfortunately, I'm not doing a great job.  I did a netinstall from
debian-installer (12-01-04, FWIW, and it *rocks*!), but can't seem to
get X to come up at all.

I'll happily post any config files here, but (off the top of my head)
the problem is that X bombs after a couple of seconds with "no screens
found".  He's got a NVidia FX mumble in there.

If I could get the damn thing to work with even the vesa driver, I'd
know where to start - but I can't.  I've got mdetect, read-edid and
discover installed (all before apt-get installing xserver-xfree86), but
this doesn't seem to help.

So -

o any AGP gotchas I should look out for?  I've only installed on a PCI
  system before ..

o What's the lowest common denominator driver that I should be starting
  with to get over the absolutely-no-GUI-accessible hurdle?

o What files can I post here to help you help me?

TIA - I really need some advice!
jc