Re: Xfree setup: does AGP require anything special?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:40:13 +0100, Jonathan Matthews wrote:

> Unfortunately, I'm not doing a great job.  I did a netinstall from
> debian-installer (12-01-04, FWIW, and it *rocks*!), but can't seem to
> get X to come up at all.

My usual approaches in such cases:

1. (as proposed by another poster) try KNOPPIX

2. even more often, I resort to

su
cd /root/
XFree86 -configure

and then follow the last line of that screen output
(XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new)

I'm writing this as far as my memory is correct; so no guarantees !

Usually, this never brings the final config, but serves as starting point:
Does it recognize the hardware ?
And then the XFConfig can be tuned ...