Re: Xfree setup: does AGP require anything special?

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:34:27AM +0000, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> I'll happily post any config files here, but (off the top of my head)
> the problem is that X bombs after a couple of seconds with "no screens
> found".  He's got a NVidia FX mumble in there.

I know that some nvidia cards will work with the nv driver that comes
with Xfree86. However you won't get any acceleration out of it. Some
of the newer cards won't even work with that and will require the
nvidia drivers. I'm not sure if there are any nvidia cards out there
that won't even work with vesa...

> o any AGP gotchas I should look out for?  I've only installed on a PCI
>   system before ..

Usually it's just about the same as PCI, except if you want to set up
hardware accelerated 3d, then you need to worry about AGP drivers, etc.

> o What's the lowest common denominator driver that I should be starting
>   with to get over the absolutely-no-GUI-accessible hurdle?

Usually this is vesa. I guess X 3.3 has an svga server :)

> o What files can I post here to help you help me?

Well here are the relevant parts of a generic XF86Config-4 file:
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Generic Video Card"
	Driver		"vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
	HorizSync	28-50
	VertRefresh	43-75
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Generic Video Card"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	16
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		1
		Modes		"800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		4
		Modes		"800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		8
		Modes		"800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		15
		Modes		"800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

There's always the option to use nvidia's proprietary (non-free) drivers.
They should work with all the recent nvidia cards (AFAIK).

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com