Re: Documentation and Usability

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:18:50 -0600, Mac McCaskie wrote:

> I think my point would be closer to not allowing a package on-board
> without adaqate instruction on what it was and how to use it.
>
> Where is the value of providing a widget to a customer without giving
> them a clue as to what the widget is or what to do with it.

So you would wish, for instance, to deprive me of a package which I can
understand and use simply because the documentation is not adequate enough
for you, or for somebody non-me, anyway?

Heck, if I need it, I'll use what I can figure out, even if I have to go
to the source code to understand some of it.  I think that the only
criterion should be that a package doesn't break the system.

Nearly every package is freely given by someone who has donated a great
deal of time and skill to get it up and running.

To complain about the documentation is what is known as "looking a gift
horse in the mouth".

Oh, and you *aren't* a customer, any more than any of us are.  A customer
is someone who pays for goods and services.

--

It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big
enough hammer.
               -- Sun System & Network Admin manual