Re: Debian Font Guide for Newbies and the Confused

  --received from Rob Weir--

> > Determining which true type font package to install myself
> > isn't so obvious.  Looks like any package starting with ttf- are true
> > type font packages.  The only three that don't seem to be for another
> > language are the non-free larabie packages.
>
> ttf-bitstream-vera is in sarge and sid and is quite Free.  I even gave
> the full URL to the .deb :) As well as msttcorefonts, which is an
> installer package which downloads the MS corefonts and sets them up for
> you.

Yes, I appreciated and downloaded the ttf-bitstream-vera for my stable
distribution while reading your guide.  I held off on installing it
until I was sure that that is what I wanted to do.  I did check the
contents of the package and was thrown off by the issue mentioned
below, that the fonts didn't install into
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/ which, at the time,
didn't seem to get me anywhere.

> > Looking at the "list of
> > files", these seem to unpack into /usr/X11R6/X11/fonts/TrueType/ and
> > /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ instead of into
> > /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/.
>
> Yes, x-ttcidfont symlinks the fonts into
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/, they still get
> installed somewhere else.

Ok, I'll go ahead and install the ttf-bitstream-vera mentioned above
and see where that gets me.

Thanks!

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu