Re: Debian Font Guide for Newbies and the Confused

  --received from Rob Weir--

> Yes, defoma aka "Debian Font Manager".  When you install a new font, it
> handles setting up symlinks and such so that you can just point X at
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType, and leave it alone.
> Without defoma, you'd have to point X at wherever fonts installed
> themselves, and update the various fonts.* files that live next to the
> fonts.
>
> The only really neccessary step seems to be adding that one line to
> XF86Config-4.  fontconfig seems to come setup correctly out of the box,
> X will put Type1 done the bottom all by itself, and the unscaled thing
> doesn't seem to have any effect anymore.

So, for the sake of clarification as some conflicting statements have
been made, as long as the FontPath to
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType is given in
XF86Config-4, the order of the FontPaths doesn't matter, ie. even if
the path to Type1 fonts is given first, X will put it last it?

Also, Rob's guide assumes that fontconfig is installed.  As I use only
the stable distribution at the moment, defoma is installed but not
fontconfig.  The debconf message for defoma told me to put
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType as a FontPath in
XF86Config-4 but my /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfon t-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/
directory contains nothing but the file, fonts.dir, at the moment.
This doesn't seem correct.  Is this bunk until fontconfig is installed?

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu