Re: Debian Font Guide for Newbies and the Confused

  --received from Rob Weir--

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:05:21PM -0700, Paul Yeatman said
> > So, for the sake of clarification as some conflicting statements have
> > been made, as long as the FontPath to
> > /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType is given in
> > XF86Config-4, the order of the FontPaths doesn't matter, ie. even if
> > the path to Type1 fonts is given first, X will put it last it?
>
> Er, I more meant that the default config that *new* installs of X
> creates puts the Type1 line at the bottom.  As far as I know, it will
> still cause problems if it's not at the bottom.

Got it, thanks!

> > The debconf message for defoma told me to put
> > /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType as a FontPath in
> > XF86Config-4 but my /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfon t-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/
> > directory contains nothing but the file, fonts.dir, at the moment.
> > This doesn't seem correct.
>
> Have you installed any truetype font packages from Debian?

Apparently not :)  I wasn't even aware I needed to (this is the level
of font understanding I'm coming from :).  If defoma uses true type
fonts, why doesn't it suggest/recommend any true type font packages to
install?  Determining which true type font package to install myself
isn't so obvious.  Looks like any package starting with ttf- are true
type font packages.  The only three that don't seem to be for another
language are the non-free larabie packages.  Looking at the "list of
files", these seem to unpack into /usr/X11R6/X11/fonts/TrueType/ and
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ instead of into
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/.

Thanks of all your other comments.

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu