Re: downgrading libc6

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 20:30, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> Well, for the record, with not getting anyone else's opinion on this, I
> finally gave things a try and ran
>
> 	dpkg -i libc6_2.2.5-11.5_i386.deb libc6-dev_2.2.5-11.5_i386.deb
>
> and the only warning (other than the obvious fact that I was
> downgrading packages) was that such a downgrade would require
> overwriting another package's files, libdb1-compat.  This package is
> required by libc6 >= 2.2.5-13 which applied to the higher version of
> libc6 I was coming from but not going to.  So, with a fair amount of
> looking over manual pages for dpkg and such, I came up with:
>
> 	dpkg -i -B --force-overwrite libc6*2.2.5*.deb

dpkg -i <package>

all that is needed, downgrading is automagically allowed. Don;t worry to
much about the -B option it tends to not work as described (at least so
far in my experience)

That *is* the safest way. If the packaging is changed... then and only
then, is the --force-overwrite needed. But since we are talking libc6*
should be no big deal.

> which I tried with a bit of concern.  The -B is supposed to
> "deconfigure" any packages which depend on a package(s) you are
> removing.  The --force-overwrite tells dpkg to go ahead and write over
> another package's files.  This worked great!  Once libc6 and libc6-dev
> where downgraded, I was able to remove libdb1-compat without trouble
> (again, worried a bit that removal of the package might remove
> files required by libc6-2.2.5-11.5 but it thankfully did not).
>
> Paul

>   --received from Paul Yeatman--
> >
> > Hi, I've inherited a Debian system that primarily uses the stable
> > distribution and yet on which the previous manager must have upgraded
> > libc6, libc6-dev and locales to, likely, the testing distribution as
> > they are higher versions than available from stable.  Now that it is in
> > my hands, I'd prefer it use the versions current with the stable dist.
> > From doing some research, I feel fairly confident that only the
> > packages above where upgraded (using 'dpkg -l', going through
> > 'dselect', looking through /var/lib/dpkg/available, etc) yet realize
> > these are less than perfect checks and that I could easily be missing
> > something.
> >
> > I'm tempted to downgrade with a:
> >
> > 	dpkg -i libc6_2.2.5-11.5_i386 libc6-dev_2.2.5-11.5_i386 locales_2.2.5-11.5_i386
> >
> > I'm I asking for a lot of trouble????  Is there a safer more sure way
> > to do this?

Like I said, it is the safest. No surer way.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Solitamente, quando emani profumi, mi ricordi lamette circonflesse.