downgrading libc6

Hi, I've inherited a Debian system that primarily uses the stable
distribution and yet on which the previous manager must have upgraded
libc6, libc6-dev and locales to, likely, the testing distribution as
they are higher versions than available from stable.  Now that it is in
my hands, I'd prefer it use the versions current with the stable dist.
>From doing some research, I feel fairly confident that only the
packages above where upgraded (using 'dpkg -l', going through
'dselect', looking through /var/lib/dpkg/available, etc) yet realize
these are less than perfect checks and that I could easily be missing
something.

I'm tempted to downgrade with a:

	dpkg -i libc6_2.2.5-11.5_i386 libc6-dev_2.2.5-11.5_i386 locales_2.2.5-11.5_i386

I'm I asking for a lot of trouble????  Is there a safer more sure way
to do this?

Thanks,

Paul

--