Re: downgrading libc6

Well, for the record, with not getting anyone else's opinion on this, I
finally gave things a try and ran

	dpkg -i libc6_2.2.5-11.5_i386.deb libc6-dev_2.2.5-11.5_i386.deb

and the only warning (other than the obvious fact that I was
downgrading packages) was that such a downgrade would require
overwriting another package's files, libdb1-compat.  This package is
required by libc6 >= 2.2.5-13 which applied to the higher version of
libc6 I was coming from but not going to.  So, with a fair amount of
looking over manual pages for dpkg and such, I came up with:

	dpkg -i -B --force-overwrite libc6*2.2.5*.deb

which I tried with a bit of concern.  The -B is supposed to
"deconfigure" any packages which depend on a package(s) you are
removing.  The --force-overwrite tells dpkg to go ahead and write over
another package's files.  This worked great!  Once libc6 and libc6-dev
where downgraded, I was able to remove libdb1-compat without trouble
(again, worried a bit that removal of the package might remove
files required by libc6-2.2.5-11.5 but it thankfully did not).

Paul

  --received from Paul Yeatman--